When we look for something in the Windows 10 start menu, if there is nothing that results in the computer, we are recommended to search the Internet. This is done using Bing as the main search engine in this sense. Although there are probably users who do not want this to happen, so you can disable the use of Bing on the computer. If you want to know what to do, the steps are explained below.
Since we have the possibility to disable this option in Windows 10, although the registry editor has to be used in this case, which may be a somewhat more complex step for some users, we tell you everything that has to be done in this regard below.
How to disable Bing search in the Windows 10 Start menu
While all the changes that we are going to carry out below are reversible, so they do not present any problem. This is undoubtedly one of the great advantages that we have in Windows 10. Since everything we do, in general, terms can be undone again in the future. So we can modify many aspects of the operating system to our liking. In this case, it is Bing’s turn in this start menu.
Disable Bing in Windows 10 Start Menu
The first thing to do in this case is to open the Windows 10 registry editor. To do this, we enter the term Regedit in the search bar on the computer’s start menu.
- So, an option will appear in the said list, which is the registry editor. We then click on this option so that it opens on the screen. So that we will be able to start this process on the computer.
- Inside the registry editor, we have to go to a specific route, as usual in these cases. Therefore, it is best to enter the address directly in the top bar of it. The address to which we have to enter in this particular case is the following:
- HKEYCURRENTUSER–>SOFTWARE–>Microsoft Windows–> CurrentVersion Search, which you can copy without too much trouble in the bar in the editor on your Windows 10 computer. In this way, copying, we immediately plant ourselves in the folder in which we have to be in order to continue, which is what interests us.
- When we are in that Search folder, we have to click New and then select the DWORD (32-bit) option.
- What this means is that we are creating a new registry entry. So, we have to give a name to that entry, which in this case, is going to be BingSearchEnabled.
- The name that we have to give it is not optional since, in this sense, we are referring to the searches that are made with Bing. It is precisely these searches that we want to deactivate on the computer. So we have to enter this name in the entry.
- We then double click on BingSearchEnabled, so that we can edit its value. Then a window opens on the screen, where we have a section called Value Information, where we can put the number we want to give to that value.
- As you probably already imagined, we have to put a number 0 in it. The normal thing is that it is the number that Windows 10 sets by default, but it is worth checking that it was so. If this is not the case, we have to put that 0.
Then we also have to do the same with CortanaConsent, which is already created. You have to put the value 0 to 1. so that we prevent the wizard from also doing such searches with Bing when we use it in Windows 10.
So, we give it to accept, and we only have to restart the computer. So all the changes that we have made are going to be saved. Thus, these searches with Bing are disabled on your computer.